At first I thought you had two faces. but now I see one face is real and the other is just a lie. Do you believe that lie?
There was a time in my life that if someone told me their aspirations or beliefs, I didn’t look any farther. That was the person, the one they described to me. Now that I’ve had more experience in life, I realize the person screaming obscenities behind the smiling face is the true person.
I believe it was Maya Angelo that said, When someone shows you who they are, believe them. It’s a matter of training, or in my case, retraining my senses. At first it seems awkward. I see the two faces and I hear the voice speak that tells me they are kind and gentle and that I should believe them, and then there’s the punch in the face. Wow, where did that come from? Business leaders will promote new ideas. They’re for progress, the new style of management. Their employees are their greatest asset, they say. The want to allow their employees opportunity to grow. Then slowly, moment by moment, they take your privileges away. You’re called on the carpet for petty things. They look at you suspiciously and monitor your phones. Which to believe? Was it only the flavor of the month?
A spouse says they love you. They want to spend more time with you and can’t stand to be away from you. But they work late most nights and when they’re not working, they hole up in their office reading financial reports or playing video games. Hmmm, something isn’t syncing.
I think I’ve mentioned in the past that I tend to be a bit naive, trusting, accepting. I’m also a fairly adaptable person so I take on too much. I step up too tall and I stay too long. Which is fine if I’m with my friends. They know me and I know them. I feel free to say Not today or I’m not feeling well. And we all understand each other and allow the other person to bow out gracefully.
My problem isn’t that I didn’t see the actions or even know the person was lying. My problem is that I wanted it to be true. My emotions were involved. I cared. And that’s where my conundrum is. Do I not care anymore? I have no wish to become an ice queen. Caring is human. I have learned to isolate my caring to smaller and more trusted groups. I’ve learned to detach from caring if I realize I’ve over invested. With age comes experience and that grows into wisdom.
I no longer believe your lie.
- Plastic girls in a real world (lookinguptheskirt.wordpress.com)
- The Beautiful Beauty (impresiveu.wordpress.com)
- Priceless Friendship (apurvakj.wordpress.com)
- Why your brain is your frenemy when it comes to reading and writing (onewildword.com)
- I Need To Learn How To Age Gracefully (mymidlifemayhem.wordpress.com)
- “Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies” (marilynlopez17.wordpress.com)
- World of Lies (rollinginthediep.wordpress.com)
- Philadelphia Singles King of Prussia Reviews How To Handle A Lying Spouse (kingofprussiasinglesphiladelphia.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Trust the Smile: How to Deal with and Protect Yourself from Charismatic Liars (paularenee.wordpress.com)
- Woman Apologizes to Her Body (anopenapology.com)