inspiration life society

Is It Too Late to Play?

I just finished listening to a podcast with the guest speaker, Adele Diamond. She’s a neuroscientist and has studied child development and talked about a subject I struggle with, The Science of Attention. There’s a lot of talk in the last 20 plus years about revamping our school system. The problem is that we think we know what it should look like, but the ideal education image changes with every generation. For a time we looked to Korea as a guide. Then more of a free-for-all was ideal. Is it rote memorization or phonetic writing? With children it could look one way and be a great school for 20% of the kids, but not the remaining 80%. No child is like another. There are also those dear adaptable kids that flourish in many environments. This just screws up all the statistics.

So what makes a good education? Right now there’s a lot of talk about how we’ve removed all the fluff and it’s the fluff that is as needed as much as the rest. Music, noncompetitive play, art, philosophy and life skills. Good play which can be sports, music, and pretend increases children’s ability to pay attention. It cultivates executive decision making.

Is it too late to play?

Adele Diamond spoke of a normal thing called mirror writing. I remember my kids doing that when they were learning to write.

“And Elena Bodrova has a very simple way, and after an afternoon or an evening, the mirror writing is gone. What she says is, when you go home tonight, and you do your math homework, every time you’re supposed to write a 6, put down your pencil and pick up a red pencil. That’s all she says. That’s the whole instruction.”

Is it too late to play?

Is it possible to increase your adult organization skills by continuing to play? So let’s experiment with some of the things mentioned. This week when you’re defaulting into a bad habit, do it differently. Try standing on one foot. Or using  a red pencil. Take your laptop or tablet to write into the kitchen. Stand instead of sit. Eat your ice cream with a fork. Run without music and watching the mileage. And don’t forget to play, because I don’t think it’s too late.

Here are some educational links meant for teaching but go ahead and take a look:

 

1 comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Wyzzz

The World Arthur Guinness couldn't express in Words...

Jonathan Hilton Mind Connections

Personal Growth, Self Improvement, Positive Thinking

Diary of an Aesthete

Follow the Journey...

The Nephilim Rising™

Lux in Tenebris Lucet

Little Fears

Tales of humour, whimsy and courgettes

Lebana's Journey |Prose and Poetry|

I Dare You to Figure Me Out

Frank Solanki

If you want to be a hero well just follow me

Damien Walter

"The universe is made of stories, not atoms."

The Autistic FellRunner

A diary of my life as an autistic who enjoys fellrunning

Byron Bay Meditation & Healing

Tools for Personal Development: Meditation-Healing- Coaching- Retreats Byron Bay,NSW

joyful cacophony

Welcome to our online community of creativity, healing and self-exploration! This is a place to tell our stories with the intention to learn from one another. Please read and share your thoughts freely!

musings from the trenches

Pondering life, parenting, and the world as we know it

Anelemc's Blog

Writing Pieces or... Pieces of Writing

J.D. Moyer

science fiction author

Republican No More

One Pissed-Off Deplorable

Rae Spencer

I'm working on it.

The Sin City Siren

Feminism direct from Las Vegas since 2007!

Sue Doodles

colorful meanderings on paper

%d bloggers like this: